Thursday, January 06, 2011

Word Names for Babies

Lolpants.

So far the names on the word name list include Magenta and Squat.  Too fun.  You guys kill me.  I will not be naming my children these names (though I quite liked the idea of a Magenta Pigeon in the world!).  But I have a hankering to buy me a couple ferrets or something and dub them these fabulous monikers.

So we're interested in word names for alot of reasons.  1st:  Why not?  All names are are representational of things anyway, right?  Don't people ask--'what's your name mean?'  And such.  And new parents are often eager to tell you what 'cameron' means or 'stella' and whatnot.  OR names are chosen as familial\personal significance, but a word-word, as opposed to a name-word can often fill the same function.

2nd-  We are sick of trying to unearth less common names, especially because whenever we do settle upon one (Let's say CALEB, for example) that's nice and pleasantly obscure, the name suddenly jumps onto the top 1,000 most popular and we are back to square one, frustrated and disappointed.  I mean when we chose 'Jack', not john but Jack to be our son's name I have to tell you that it was so far out of vogue it was getting wrinkled noses from those we told.  But between Will & Grace, 24, and Lost, the classic hero-ness of the name Jack seemed to reoccur to people.  Oh, JACK, they seemed to say as a collective unit.  Jack is a great name!  It sure is, fuckers.  And now you can't go into a toys-r-us without hearing 1 in 5 mothers calling out 'jack, hey jack' or 'jackson, jackson look at this' or Jax!  C'mere Jax, hey jax!'  Gag me.  The market is so thoroughly glutted with Jacks and jacksons and jaxxons that I want to punch a puppy.

SO.  So we want a less common name, but the only way to ensure that it will really stay uncommon is to go the word route.

3rd.  Another reason you choose a name, besides meaning, is because you like the sound of it.  Or the vibe of it.  Is it a pleasing name when spoken.  When written.  When you hear it.  If this is true, then why limit yourselves to the standard baby name dictionary?  There are so many pleasing combinations of letters out there, of vowels and consonants.  I don't even object to just plain make one up, if it comes to that.  I just also like the name to have resonance with meaning.  But, like, how cool is the name Zan?  Doesn't mean shit.  Made it up in my brain.  Or Velen!  Cool beans right?  Just made the fuck up.  Names are just made up anyway, so I absolutely hate it when people get all high and might about some of the names people have.  I encounter this alot in the public schools.  Old teachers are always making snide comments like: "Whatever happened to joe and jane?"  And I feel like staring at them and saying quite frankly:  Those are boring ass, trite ass fucking names, and maybe these parents didn't want their kids to be cookie-cutter or average!

I especially hate the snide little comments and the flat-out refusal to get pronunciation right because it smacks of insidious racism.  But that's a discussion for another day.

Ok.  Meaning, sound, popularity.

So I thought it might be fun to show you a list of words-as-names that we've been cooking up. I'll show you the narrowed list first, so you can get a sense of where we are, but then for funzies I'll show you a list of word-names that I found enchanting (though unrealistic), and might yet name characters!

Oh.  Keep in mind that these are for a boy.  It is too easy to choose word names for girls.  Practically anything can be a kick-ass girl name.  Days of the week.  Months.  Places.  Fruits, flowers, anything.  Most words that are pleasing to the ear can make a decent girls names.

So here goes, words that could be a name for Baby Boy Reardon (Don't even want to get into that discussion right now.  Yes I realize it is unconventional.  But it has been decided.)


Locke
Tell
Truman
Catch
Otto
Thatcher
Greyson
Monroe
Cabre
Cable
Mack
Ferris\ Ferrous
Fitz
Church \ Churchill
Shepherd Sheppard
Park
Beckett
Tuck Puck Luck Huck
Friday
Column
Caul
Cardinal
Chord
Obediah

Heeheehee.  Fun right?  Some are names, admittedly, but weird ones, or last names.

Here's the other list.  Pretty wild, but some delicious words:
(Many of these have been vetoed by Aaron for reali-like names.)

Bishop
Chance
Quest
Archer
Arrow
Silas
Phelan
Elm
Fly
Hawthorne
Zenith
Audacious
Oath
Honor
Truth
Courage
Solace
Solemn
Sycamore
Mack
Legend
Fox
Wolf
Harbinger
Science
Wisdom
Time
Sentinel
Daedalus
Kilroy
Prior
Phoenix
Will
Argyle
Allegiance
Credence
Dare\ Daring
Merit
Persevere\ Perseverance
Reverence
Providence
Search
Tenacity
Zeal
Orion

These listies are by no means definitive, but they are fun.
So I pose this to you:  Any favorites?  Any you absolutely want us to rule out?  I love feedback.  Keep in mind that we already have chosen a word-name for a boy that we lovelovelove, so the next one we choose is a back-up, a spare.

Hearts!

-Beth





3 comments:

WitchyEditor said...

I once knew a guy named Haven. I think that's kind of cool.

Although I really think your first boy should be Indy.

Other cool words that could be names:

Persimmon
Lanai--meaning porch or veranda
Pavid--timid
Kyte--Scottish for stomach
Maven--an expert
Pridian--pertaining or belonging to the previous day
Tiffin--a midday meal; lunch

B. Incomparable said...

YAY!

Indiana is our first girl! Not our boy.

As for Haven, i ADORE that name! One of the Delaney Girls almost got that name! I like it better for a girl. This is my problem! I love tons of words, but most of them lean feminine in my imagination. Several of the words you provided, infact, would be great girls names, but I am having trouble with Making them into a son in my mind.


Keep the words coming!! LOVE!

B. Incomparable said...

Persimmon is another one of my favorite names for a character. Tamarind is another. Such lovely words. How cute would it be to have a pair of twin girls? Persi and Tam for short??? Love. Indian Girls, or middle eastern. Something exotic.