Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Can't help that day...

Ah, missed a monday post.  Where do the hours go? 

How was your monday?  Mine was nice, actually, despite the fact that I am hardwired to despise them!  Work was fun and productive~ both jobs.  And whn I got home I decided to go ahead and try making that sandwich Emmy referenced in her blog recently-- a grilled cheese with dijon mustard, green apple, and brown-sugar carmelized onions.

It turned out pretty yummy, excepting that I have never made brown sugar carmelized onions before and let them go a skosh too far, and the poor things turned into literal caramel.  Honestly.  It was wild. Next time I make this dish I will either stop the onions before they go so far OR I will simply make my regular carmelized onions and skip the brown sugar all together, as regular carmelized onions are delicious enough and need no embellishing.  The green apple and cheese was inspired, though, and I used zesty honey mustard instead of dijon (I had no dijon in the hizzy).  Incredibly filling; so much more filling than a regular ole grilled cheese.   This time around I used fresh grated colby-jack and fresh grated cheddar mixed.  Next time I might try muesnter.  Who knows?  It as relatively easy and I think next time I will perfect it!

SO I didn't manage to find time to blog yesterday, but I did, however, find time to write.  Huhn.  Just when I'd been thinking of abandoning it all together!  Isn't that always the way? I didn't finish either scene I worked on, but I wrote.  And it felt good to write.  So.  We shall see.  I think I'm having trouble striking a human balance between heart-crushing tragedy, and gag-reflex inducing saccharine sweetness.  Either everything is working out for my folks, or everything is going horribly, awfully, criminally wrong for them.  Lol.  And I know the danger of too much happiness-- I've seen some of my favorite couple disappear from soaps for an excess of lovey-dovey joy.  And god knows we don't see soap opera children unless they are dying of a critical illness, involved in some criminal incident, or the crux of a bitter custody battle!


I think I shall post some fiction today, a double entry (god I love the sound of that) if you will, since I missed yesterday and it is now today.

In unrelated news:  Think we'll get that big storm that's predicted for wed-thurs?  My paychecks are taking a hit, but my mental health is simply enamored of snowdays.

Coming up at eleven:  How my shiftless lazy layabout brother in law insists on strewing his garbage about my apartment and consistently leaves his drinking glasses all over my living room and instead of washing one grabs yet another!  I will be so glad when March gets here.  IF, of course, he actually leaves...




1 comment:

emmy. said...

I made the sandwich yesterday! I'm obsessed. The onions are very delicate. I used way too much oil.

As for the bil, I'd make some fresh "lemonade" for him to fill his cups with. Just warn Aaron.